6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
An introduction to descriptive statistics -- the collection, organisation, presentation and analysis of grouped and ungrouped data using measures of location and dispersion; the construction of index numbers, with application to share price indices and the CPI; analysis of relationships between variables using simple and multiple regression, with applications to forecasting; main ideas of probability theory as a foundation for statistical inference; concept of sampling as a way of capturing uncertainty about data; estimators and their properties; constructing and interpreting confidence intervals, testing a hypothesis, including analysis of variance.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- interpret business and economic data using descriptive statistics techniques
- construct and interpret index numbers
- describe the concept of a sampling distribution, estimators and their properties
- use P values to make inference on single population means for business and economic decision-making
- interpret and evaluate relationships between variables for business and economic decision-making using simple linear regression
- apply the main ideas of probability theory, discrete and continuous probability distributions to business and economic decision-making.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information