6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Introduction to spreadsheeting. Descriptive statistics. Elementary probability. Discrete and continuous probability distributions. Statistical inference. Simple linear regression and correlation. Forecasting and time series. Index numbers.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- interpret business data using descriptive statistics techniques, including the use of spreadsheet functions
- apply simple concepts of probability and probability distributions to problems in business decision-making
- describe the role of statistical inference and applying inference methods to single population means
- evaluate relationships between variables for business decision-making, using the concept of correlation and simple linear regression
- apply time series techniques of indexing, deflating, and forecasting to business and financial series, and interpreting the results.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information