6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
. Must be enrolled in a Postgraduate degree
This unit will provide students with the practical knowledge required to plan and undertake a clinical research project with close attention to the highest standards of ethics and Good Research Practice. Students will also gain detailed knowledge in planning, and organizing their knowledge using methods of clinical research in a written and oral format.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Design clinical research projects in a manner that takes account of common ethical issues and proposes satisfactory solutions to overcome them.
- Develop an application for approval by an ethics committee and understand the process and requirements of ethical approval.
- Develop an understanding of the modus operandi of major funding bodies and the manner by which applications for funding are made.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the proper management of a clinical research project and the steps needed to ensure maintenance of the highest levels of good clinical research practice.
- Develop knowledge and appreciation of the main areas of risk involving clinical research and the steps that should be taken to reduce these risks.
- Develop skills in the presentation of data in oral and written format and appropriate methods for promoting research funding.
- Written assignments (60%) (hurdle)
- Module A - Block day (10%)
- Modules B-C - Online posting (30%)
Off-campus attendance requirements
8 hours over 1 day block.