12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 to First semester 2020 (On-campus)
A distinction level average in 24 points at third year level, including at least 12 points in 3rd year BMS units.
and must be enrolled in course 3418.
The unit aims to develop analytical abilities and communication skills, as well as provide students with advanced knowledge in specific areas of Biomedical Science. Students will undertake a module of statistics relevant to scientific hypothesis testing and provide a written critique of a scientific article. Students will also undertake a component of work within their selected discipline that is unrelated to their specific research component and involves some level of advanced theoretical training. Candidates may commence at the beginning of either first or second semester.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Critically review the scientific literature in their discipline;
- Explain the processes involved in the design, development and implementation of a research project;
- Recognise the breadth of statistical tests and their applicability to common research methodologies;
- Apply simple statistical tests.
- Statistical test (30%)
- Written critique (30%)
- Discipline specific component (40%) (Hurdle)