6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester B 2019 (On-campus)
, , , , and ,
The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
The unit expands the analytic and methodological research topics studied in first and second year Psychology units, with emphasis on theoretical, conceptual and practical explanations of advanced comparative techniques (Independent-, Repeated- and Mixed-Methods ANOVA), correlational techniques (Standard and Hierarchical Multivariate Regression), and the psychometric principles and methods of test reliability. The laboratory programme focuses on the application of research design and analytical techniques for developing APA-style quantitative research reports.
On successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- apply the correct analytical techniques to various comparative and correlational designs;
- apply research design principles to practical research problems;
- assess the assumptions of data required for parametric analyses appropriate to answering specific research questions;
- critically evaluate the merits of various methods of assessing psychometric test reliability;
- discuss the results of quantitative research in the context of relevant literature;
- prepare a quantitative report in APA format.
Within semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information