6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
South Africa School of Social Science
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
The unit provides a further introduction to the behavioural science of psychology. Topics include social psychology; organisational/industrial psychology; psychopathology; basic processes and principles of cognition; descriptive statistics and an introduction to inferential statistics. Laboratory classes augment students' understanding of the lecture material and provide training in research techniques.
On the completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Explain basic cognitive processes.
- Describe the social basis of behaviour and psychopathology.
- Discuss on a basic level organisational/industrial psychology and its development in South Africa.
- Give a basic overview of research methodology and statistical analysis.
- Write a psychological report.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Exam: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information