The challenges and opportunities presented by the fast growing industry of tourism requires qualified professionals with an international mindset. The Graduate Certificate of International Sustainable Tourism Management enables understanding of the global tourism industry and is designed for both emerging professionals and those wishing to enhance their understanding. The degree builds essential skills in critical thinking, writing and presentation in multicultural settings designed to enhance learning success and career capabilities.
Postgraduate - Course
This course entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019 and should be read in conjunction with information provided in the 'Faculty information' section of this Handbook by the Faculty of Arts.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Admission and fees
Course progression map
0.5 years FT, 1 year PT
You have a maximum of 3 years to complete this course.
Mode and location
Graduate Certificate of International Sustainable Tourism Management
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 8 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework level 8 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://monash.edu/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that students will be able to:
- explain tourism development theory and practice in a global setting
- recognise best practice policy and planning for sustainable tourism management in diverse enterprises
- analyse and critically evaluate a range of texts pertaining to sustainable tourism policy and practice
- utilise research skills to undertake a short, guided research task
- communicate research findings in a range of formats to professional and non-professional audiences.
Students complete four core units which provide knowledge, skills, attitudes and values required of skilled practitioners working in a range of fields addressing tourism.
The course progression mapcourse progression map (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/maps/map-a4009.pdf) provides guidance on unit enrolment for each semester of study.
Units are 12 points unless otherwise stated.
Students complete 24 points:
- Tourism industry and marketing or Applied industry research and practice
- Cultural and nature-based product management or Digital tourism economy
Progression to further studies
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate of International Sustainable Tourism Management will be eligible for admission at entry point 2 into the Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management.