12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 2 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
- The unit may be offered in non-standard teaching periodsnon-standard teaching periods (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census).
Reviews the strategic role research plays in the tourism industry both globally and in Australia. Topics include, defining the research problem and objectives, analysing secondary data sources, qualitative and quantitative methodology selection, questionnaire design, fieldwork preparation, data analysis and presentation.
- To provide students with an understanding of the availability of secondary research data and an overview of tourism trends and research directions from both an Australian and Global perspective.
- To develop students' capacity to understand the basics principles of research design for both qualitative and quantitative studies and the role played by research in tourism strategic planning.
- To develop students' capacity to undertake an analysis of secondary tourism data.
- To develop students' written and oral communication skills.
- To provide students with an understanding of how to conduct a primary quantitative research study including questionnaire design, data entry, analysis and presentation.
- To provide students with an understanding of the applicability of the SPSS computer program to research in the tourism industry.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information