This specialisation will prepare you to teach adolescents from 12 to 18 years of age in secondary schools from Year 7 to Year 12 in two teaching areas. You will actively engage with contemporary theories, concepts and practices of secondary education, developing inclusive teaching and learning practices to meet a diversity of adolescents' cognitive, social and emotional needs and building a repertoire of strategies to manage their learning in classroom settings. You will develop the capacity to develop and evaluate various teaching approaches to engage adolescents and learn to effectively assess and report on their learning. You will develop specialist expertise in curriculum and pedagogy up to VCE-equivalent level in two secondary subject areas such as English, mathematics, the sciences, history, social education, languages, the arts, business, or health and physical education.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Orientation studies (24 points)
- EDF4120 Learning at the heart of teaching
- EDF4121 Teaching: The power to change
- EDF4122 Teaching partnerships: Working with families and communities
- EDF4123 Literacy across the years
Part B. Specialist education studies and Part C. Professional practice (72 points)
The professional experience units below require 60 days of professional experience, in four blocks of 15 days, completed in secondary school settings.
For specialist studies (54 points) students complete:
- EDF5016 Inclusive teaching
- EDF5017 Numeracy for learners and teachers
- EDF5018 Curriculum, assessment and reporting
- EDF5040 Lifelong and workplace learning
- EDF5041 Engaging adolescent learners
- Secondary method 1A*
- Secondary method 1B*
- Secondary method 2A*
- Secondary method 2B*
* Completed in the teaching specialisms for which the student has been approved. Refer to the full list of available secondary method units.
For professional studies (18 points) students complete:
- EDF5019 Teacher as professional leader
- EDF5941 Secondary professional experience 1 (0 points)
- EDF5942 Secondary professional experience 2 (0 points)
- EDF5943 Secondary professional experience 3 (0 points)
- EDF5944 Secondary professional experience 4 (0 points)
- a master's unit chosen from the elective list below
Note: This elective list will change from time to time and not all units are available on every campus, every semester or every year. Some units are offered in flexible mode.
Elective units are 12 points unless otherwise stated.
- EDF5632 Understanding inclusion in learning communities
- EDF5640 Language, culture and curriculum
- EDF5641 Pedagogy and assessment in TESOL
- EDF5642 Bilingualism and content-based programs
- EDF5645 Educating the gifted
- EDF5646 Talent development and diversity
- EDF5647 Technology and education key issues and debates
- EDF5648 Instructional design: Harnessing digital technologies for learning
- EDF5649 Language and literacies across educational contexts
- EDF5651 Developing expertise in mathematics education
- EDF5654 Teaching music: Theory and practice
- EDF5655 Expertise in teaching
- EDF5656 Practising inclusion
- EDF5657 Indigenous perspectives in professional practice
- EDF5658 Young people: Culture, communities and education
- EDF5659 Building partnerships with families and communities
- EDF5661 Designing learning for adults
- EDF5662Not offered in 2019 Leading local, rural and regional learning and participation
- EDF5663 Education and globalisation in the Asian century
- EDF5664 Learning through participation
- EDF5665 Environmental education, design and learning for sustainability
- EDF5666Not offered in 2019 Education, development and ecological sustainability
- EDF5667 Positive behaviour support
- EDF5674 Engaging with practices of contemporary science
- EDF5691 Professional project
- EDF5692 Professional practice in special and inclusive education
- EDF5693 Using and evaluating research evidence
- EDF5694 Taking a stand in education debates
- EDF5695 Self-study as professional inquiry
- EDF5810Not offered in 2019 VCAL and VET at school
- EDF5814Not offered in 2019 Creative research approaches
Secondary method units
Students select secondary teaching method units in the teaching specialisms for which they have been approved. Refer to the full list of available secondary method unitssecondary method units (http://www.education.monash.edu.au/units/secondary-specialisms.html).
60 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in secondary school settings.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/postgrad/edu-06.html) for information.
Related areas of study
D6001 Master of Teaching