This specialisation will prepare you to teach adolescents from 12 to 18 years of age in secondary schools from Year 7 to Year 12 in two teaching areas. You will actively engage with contemporary theories, concepts and practices of secondary education, developing inclusive teaching and learning practices to meet a diversity of adolescents' cognitive, social and emotional needs and building a repertoire of strategies to manage their learning in classroom settings. You will develop the capacity to develop and evaluate various teaching approaches to engage adolescents and learn to effectively assess and report on their learning. You will develop specialist expertise in curriculum and pedagogy up to VCE-equivalent level in two secondary subject areas such as English, mathematics, the sciences, history, social education, languages, the arts, business, or health and physical education.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Orientation studies (24 points)
- Learning at the heart of teaching
- Teaching: The power to change
- Teaching partnerships: Working with families and communities
- Literacy across the years
Part B. Specialist education studies and Part C. Professional practice (72 points)
The professional experience units below require 60 days of professional experience, in four blocks of 15 days, completed in secondary school settings.
For specialist studies (54 points) students complete:
- Inclusive teaching
- Numeracy for learners and teachers
- Curriculum, assessment and reporting
- Lifelong and workplace learning
- Engaging adolescent learners
- Secondary method 1A*
- Secondary method 1B*
- Secondary method 2A*
- Secondary method 2B*
* Completed in the teaching specialisms for which the student has been approved. Refer to the full list of available secondary method units.
For professional studies (18 points) students complete:
- Teacher as professional leader
- Secondary professional experience 1 (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 2 (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 3 (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 4 (0 points)
- a master's unit chosen from the elective list below
Note: This elective list will change from time to time and not all units are available on every campus, every semester or every year. Some units are offered in flexible mode.
Elective units are 12 points unless otherwise stated.
- Understanding inclusion in learning communities
- Language, culture and curriculum
- Pedagogy and assessment in TESOL
- Bilingualism and content-based programs
- Educating the gifted
- Talent development and diversity
- Technology and education key issues and debates
- Instructional design: Harnessing digital technologies for learning
- Language and literacies across educational contexts
- Developing expertise in mathematics education
- Teaching music: Theory and practice
- Expertise in teaching
- Practising inclusion
- Indigenous perspectives in professional practice
- Young people: Culture, communities and education
- Building partnerships with families and communities
- Designing learning for adults
- Leading local, rural and regional learning and participation
- Education and globalisation in the Asian century
- Learning through participation
- Environmental education, design and learning for sustainability
- Education, development and ecological sustainability
- Positive behaviour support
- Engaging with practices of contemporary science
- Professional project
- Professional practice in special and inclusive education
- Using and evaluating research evidence
- Taking a stand in education debates
- Self-study as professional inquiry
- VCAL and VET at school
- Creative research approaches
Secondary method units
Students select secondary teaching method units in the teaching specialisms for which they have been approved. Refer to the full list of available secondary method unitssecondary method units (http://www.education.monash.edu.au/units/secondary-specialisms.html).
60 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in secondary school settings.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/postgrad/edu-06.html) for information.
Related areas of study
D6001 Master of Teaching