12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr David Bright
- Second semester 2019 (Flexible)
This unit is for aspiring or current professionals to enable them to lead and manage organisational development strategies that facilitate improved service delivery to Indigenous populations. The unit is underpinned by an appreciation of critical race theory, strategic planning and international developments in the recognition of the social and economic rights of Indigenous peoples. The unit extends students' knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures with a particular focus on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, their histories, cultures and languages, and of the impact of culture, cultural identity and linguistic background on organisational capacity to deliver world-standard service provision. To develop such capacities, the unit introduces students to emerging approaches and research in organisational development strategies to improve and evaluate service provision to Indigenous peoples. Drawing on these, students develop a strategy to engage people from Indigenous and traditional communities and improve outcomes in a particular professional setting.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- extend cross-cultural skills and knowledge in developing partnerships with Indigenous experts
- deepen their appreciation of the impact of culture, cultural identity and linguistic background on the provision of services to people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds
- lead others in the appropriate cultural protocols and the terms 'Indigenous', 'local', 'Traditional' and 'Traditional Owner' as they pertain to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- lead their organisation into the development of broad knowledge of, understanding of and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, histories, cultures and languages, to promote reconciliation between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous Australians
- develop an Indigenous-focused organisational learning strategy and/or strategic change plan to improve service delivery to Indigenous populations appropriate to their profession.
Essay (4000 words, 50%)
Organisational strategic change plan (4000 words, 50%)
Flexible mode offers a stand-alone online offering that allows students to learn and engage in content and assessment in a supported way. It also provides a face-to-face component of 12 hours over the semester to engage students with the online learning content, which students can attend if they are able and interested.
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for flexible students:
- 12 contact hours and 24 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester or
- 36 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester
- Additional requirements (all students):
- independent study to meet the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information