NOTE: This specialisation has had one or more changes made to it since publication on 1 October 2018. For details of changes, please consult the Handbook change register.
This specialisation will prepare you to teach children and adolescents from five to 18 years of age in primary and secondary schools from Foundation to Year 12 and enable you to work more broadly in community, recreational and sporting settings. You will qualify as a generalist primary school teacher, specialist health and physical education primary school teacher and a secondary school teacher with health and physical education as your specialist teaching areas. At the primary level, from Foundation to Year 6, you will develop an understanding of how primary school aged children learn and how they can be taught effectively and creatively across all primary curriculum areas such as: English and literacies, mathematics, humanities and social education, science, health and physical education, and the creative arts. At the secondary level you will focus on adolescent learning and the nature of secondary education including areas such as: classroom teaching and practice in schools, curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation, and education and its relationship to society.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (30 points)
- EDF1303 Understanding learning and learners
- EDF1304 Understanding teaching for learning
- EDF2210 Fostering positive child and adolescent behaviour and development
- EDF3211 Inclusive education: Teaching diverse learners
- EDF3218 Curriculum, assessment and evaluation
Part B. Curriculum studies (102 points)
- EDF1071 Introduction to health and physical education
- EDF1072 Contemporary issues in health and physical education
- EDF1205 English education 1
- EDF1206 Mathematics education 1
- EDF2006 Education priorities
- EDF2071 Interdisciplinary studies in health and physical education
- EDF2072 Social and environmental influences on health and physical education
- EDF2214 Science education
- EDF2215 Mathematics education 2
- EDF3071 Community development and partnerships
- EDF3217 Digital technologies: Teaching, learning and the curriculum
- EDF3219 English education 2
- EDF4251 Creative arts education
- EDF4253 Humanities and social sciences in the primary and secondary years
- EDF4254 Developing literacy and numeracy across the curriculum
- EDF4803 Senior secondary physical education
- EDF4804 Senior secondary health education
Part C. Discipline studies (60 points)
- EDF1171 Sociocultural foundations of health and physical education
- EDF1172 Biophysical and behavioural foundations of health and physical education
- EDF2171 Motor control and skill acquisition
- EDF2172 Applied movement contexts in health and physical education 1
- EDF2173 Perspectives on health
- EDF3072 Leadership, policy and pedagogies in health and physical education
- EDF3073 Health, sustainability and wellbeing
- EDF3171 Applied movement contexts in health and physical education 2
- EDF3172 Inclusion and diversity in movement contexts
- EDF4101 Research project in education
Part D. Professional studies (12 points)
Students complete 85 days of supervised professional experience in primary and secondary schools.
- EDF1055 Secondary professional experience 1A (0 points)
- EDF1056 Secondary professional experience 1B (0 points)
- EDF2053 Primary professional experience 2A (0 points)
- EDF2054 Primary professional experience 2B (0 points)
- EDF3054 Primary professional experience 3B (0 points)
- EDF3057 Secondary professional experience 3C (0 points)
- EDF4006 Transition and professional engagement
- EDF4053 Primary professional experience 4A (0 points)
- EDF4056 Secondary professional experience 4B (0 points)
- EDF4100 Researching teaching and learning
85 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in primary and secondary schools.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- D3001 Bachelor of Education (Honours)
Students in other single bachelor's degrees or Bachelor or Education (Honours) double degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.