12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences
- First semester 2017 (Online)
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
The unit aims to facilitate the process of research in medical ultrasound. Firstly, the unit will extend the knowledge and understanding of research methodology gained in the research methods unit and additionally focus attention upon a range of practical, technical and management issues associated with the conduct of scientific research. The unit will facilitate student access to academics or clinicians offering projects and who will support the student during all stages of the inquiry process.
Upon completion of this unit, students will have gained knowledge and understanding of the research process; an increased capacity to critically appraise the literature; a capacity to apply research findings to their clinical practice; a capacity to communicate research findings to the wider community; and an enhanced capacity to extend the critical, ethical and creative research stance to their everyday clinical practice.
- Gain greater insight into the worthiness of the ultrasound and medical literature and the veracity of new knowledge as it applies to clinical practice;
- Gain experience in identifying research problems in medical ultrasound and developing a research plan that will assist in the resolution of the research question;
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the practical, technical and management issues associated with the design and conduct of a research project;
- Gain experience in identifying ethical aspects of a research project and the subsequent process of gaining Ethics Approval;
- Develop skills in applying a particular research method to the resolution of a research question;
- Develop skills in logical and critical thought and analysis;
- Develop skills in the process whereby the development of new knowledge and understanding can be communicated in a coherent manner to a wider professional audience;
- Gain skills in self organisation in terms of the completion of a project within a set time frame; and
- Develop the capacity to extend the critical, ethical and creative stance to the clinical setting.
- Literature and research plan (5,000 words) (25%)
- Reflective research diary (2,000 words) (5%)
- Oral presentation (15 minutes) (10%)
- Research report (4,000 words) (60%)
Requirement to obtain a pass: Students must submit all assessment tasks and obtain at least 50% of available marks overall and at least 50% of available marks in the research report.