6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences
- First semester 2017 (Online)
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit addresses scientific and technical principles of diagnostic ultrasound and the scanning modes. The fundamentals of ultrasound transducers, continuous-wave and pulse-wave high frequency sound, A-mode, M-mode and B-mode diagnostic ultrasound scanning, the Doppler effect, spectral Doppler, colour and power Doppler and associated instrumentation are introduced. Recent developments in harmonic imaging and the use of contrast agents are presented. Safety issues are also covered including an understanding of bio-effects and bio-hazards. Students will develop skills in the recognition of image artefacts, the implementation of a quality assurance program and in optimising image quality.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to demonstrate and communicate a broad and critical conceptual understanding of:
- ultrasound production, propagation and tissue interactions and the focusing and steering of ultrasound beams;
- the instrumentation, performance and use of A-mode, real-time B-mode and M-mode scanning in ultrasound practice;
- the Doppler effect and Doppler modes used in diagnostic ultrasound to image vascular flow including spectral, colour and power modes;
- image quality, relevant image processing, the recognition of artefacts and instrument calibration;
- safety issues in medical ultrasound, bio-effects and potential bio-hazards;
- advances in harmonic imaging the use of contrast agents and future trends on transducer technologies.
- 1 x Written examination (3 hours) (70%)
- 2 x Clinically oriented case report comprising a clinical action plan (1,000 words each) and a comparative learning report (500 words) (15% each)
Requirement to obtain a pass: Students must obtain at least 50% of available marks overall and at least 50% of available marks in the written examination.
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in course 3433.