6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Business environments including markets, critical success factors, and strategies employed to gain a competitive advantage; the nature of strategic management; the analysis and interpretation of business environments; the nature of competition, relative position of firms, individual strategies and their relationship to critical success factors; strengths and weaknesses related to production, finance, research and development, marketing, administration; the role of structure, controls, rewards, culture and leadership in implementation.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- identify factors that help companies to survive and prosper
- compare various business models and the actual processes of managing strategies
- evaluate various techniques of analysing situations that require a strategic response
- debate the factors that lead to strategy success and failure
- apply strategic management concepts in particular cases.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information