6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Business environments including markets, critical success factors, and strategies employed to gain a competitive advantage; the nature of strategic management; the analysis and interpretation of business environments; the nature of competition, relative position of firms, individual strategies and their relationship to critical success factors; strengths and weaknesses related to production, finance, research and development, marketing, administration; the role of structure, controls, rewards, culture and leadership in implementation.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- identify factors that help companies to survive and prosper
- compare various business models and the actual processes of managing strategies
- evaluate various techniques of analysing situations that require a strategic response
- debate the factors that lead to strategy success and failure
- apply strategic management concepts in particular cases.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed MGB1010 or MGF1010 or MGG1010 or MGP1010 or MGW1010 before undertaking this unit.