6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This elective builds upon the core unit VCO1302. The course comprises a series of theoretical and practical exercises. Students are encouraged to build upon their skills and knowledge of typography and begin to critically analyse and question the relationships between type and meaning, type and language. Emphasis is placed upon conceptual development and a willingness to approach typography perceptively and with curiosity. Students are encouraged to pursue individual outcomes to projects that indicate a willingness to explore and experiment within an awareness of the history of typography. The skills and knowledge acquired form a solid basis to support the major area of graphic design.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Effectively use the elements and principles of design;
- Create design structures, grids, layout and composition;
- Work with texts, creating a hierarchy;
- Examine typography in two and-three dimensions;
- Produce more sophisticated type rendered by hand or generated by computer;
- Explore experimental typography;
- Use type to create an emotional and intellectual impact with an understanding of the relationship between type, image and language;
- Skilfully and expressively use both informative and artistic modes to create a holistic vision of the world of typography;
- Have a greater awareness of the historical development of typography;
- Examine the relationship between communication and form in relation to typographic practice;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information