6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Associate Professor Philip Mendes
- Second semester 2019 (Off-campus)
SWK3240 or SWK3400.
Must be enrolled in course code:0004, 3426, 3447, 3864, 3870, 3964, 3965
Please note: The teaching dates for this unit vary from the standard teaching datesstandard teaching dates (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census) for this teaching period.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty non standard teaching dates pageFaculty non standard teaching dates page (https://www.monash.edu/medicine/study/student-services/non-standard-dates) to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (https://www.monash.edu/enrolments/change/add-or-discontinue-units).
This unit explores the concept of 'community' and its applications in Australian society; the theory and practice of the various community work models (social planning, community development and social action); the role of community work in social work activities; and the skills involved in the practice of community work.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Understand and evaluate different perspectives on the nature of community.
- Understand and evaluate the different models of community work, their ideological bases and the skills they involve.
- Apply this knowledge to the practice of community work within a social work setting.
- Develop and apply a range of appropriate ethical behaviours and standards to community work.
- Understand and evaluate the range of roles and strategies in community work.
- Explore and apply a variety of community work skills.
- Using an approved guideline, conduct an interview with community development worker or attend meeting of community group or forum (1,500 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Essay on social action campaign or community project (3,000 words) (60%) (hurdle)
Off-campus attendance requirements
Mandatory attendance is required by off-campus students for a 1 day workshop which is held at the Caulfield campus in September.