6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (Online)
Must be enrolled in a Postgraduate degree
This unit is an introduction to health care research.
Students will learn how to formulate research questions, examine different research methodologies and critically appraise a research study.
Students also learn how to search for and review literature and formulate a research question that addresses a gap in the evidence.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Discriminate between research methods and determine their applicability to health care research
- Formulate research questions that are congruent with differing research methodologies
- Develop a research project that will answer and is methodically congruent with the research question
- Analyse and critique research reports related to health care
- Implement a literature search strategy
- Module 1 & 2 online quiz (10%)
- Discussion forum (quantitative and qualitative research question) (15%) (hurdle)
- Collection & Analysis of Data (10%)
- Critical appraisal of a research paper (1,500 words) (25%)
- Develop a research project (2,400 words) (40%) (hurdle)