6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
, SCU1611 or SCU1612, , or permission from the Unit Coordinator
This unit will explore advanced moulding and casting processes where students will learn casting processes and metal finishing techniques in materials such as bronze, aluminium, plaster, concrete and other materials. The unit looks at contemporary artists who employ casting processes and addresses the different conceptual frameworks for a range of casting outcomes.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Critically analyse the conceptual and material readings of different casting processes and what meanings are generated from working with these techniques within a contemporary context;
- Apply advanced skills and techniques in the casting and the finishing of a sculptural object;
- Create works that synthesise ideas into a sculptural object or series of objects;
- Understand the material propositions of casting materials that are investigated;
- Apply skills and knowledge to further enhance a cross disciplinary engagement with sculptural and material practices;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours plus 8 hours of independent study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information