6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
Permission of the Head of School plus students must have approval of project and supervisor prior to enrolment. In addition, students must pass 24 points of second level studies with a distinction average including a minimum of 12 points in the discipline directly relevant to the project.
An individual research project in a discipline relating to a major area of study, conducted under supervision. Includes critical literature review, experimental design and data analysis, seminar attendance. Student must maintain regular contact with supervisor(s) and subject coordinator.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Review scientific literature, with particular reference to the identification of key information; access information databases in an efficient manner;
- Practice careful and discriminating information retrieval;
- Present concise oral reports, with a strong emphasis on the provision of good quality audio-visual material;
- Construct clear written reports, both brief and extensive;
- Plan and undertake a minor research or investigative project, and adjust the project progressively as events and results dictate;
- Meet deadlines; conduct an appropriate statistical analysis of results, if appropriate perform the routine measurements and manipulations of a minor scientific project;
- Operate with a significant degree of independence, whilst maintaining an efficient and meaningful dialogue with a project supervisor;
- Act as a constructive member of a seminar audience;
- Interact with others as part of a team in a work environment.
Oral presentation: 20%
Project report: 55%
Supervisor's assessment of project planning, conduct and development: 25%
Approximately 12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information