6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Six points of level one chemistry plus six points of level two laboratory science
This unit is designed to introduce intending scientists to the principles of laboratory and workplace management and their obligations as experts and supervisors. It will cover legislation and the responsibilities of both employers and employees in issues such as occupational health and safety; handling of dangerous goods and the analysis, treatment and disposal of hazardous materials. Emphasis will be placed on the assessment and management of these issues in a laboratory and workplace environment. The subject will be taught by programmed learning material and practical work consisting of assessment and discussion of case studies and workplace excursions.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Discuss selected issues in managing a scientific laboratory;
- Describe their obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and related legislation;
- Recognise hazards associated with chemical and biological materials, instruments and ionising radiation and the risks they impose;
- Undertake a risk assessment and recommend safe working procedures;
- Outline their legislated obligations in recycling and disposal of hazardous materials;
- Apply the principles of chemistry, biology, microbiology and physical science to the treatment of hazardous materials;
- Discuss the effects of waste materials on the environment;
- Recommend procedures for the analysis and treatment of hazardous wastes before disposal to the environment.
A major risk assessment assignment (3000 words): 30%
Practical reports throughout the semester: 25%
Examination (2 hours): 45%
Two 1-hour lectures and one 1-hour tutorial per week
See also Unit timetable information