6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Enrolment in Second semester to First semester (Day) offering is only available to international students with permission of the Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Full year (extended) 2019 (On-campus)
Levels 1, 2 and 3 of the BradMedImag.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty non standard teaching dates pageFaculty non standard teaching dates page (https://www.monash.edu/medicine/study/student-services/non-standard-dates) to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (https://www.monash.edu/enrolments/change/add-or-discontinue-units).
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging must complete the placement in order to satisfy the professional requirements that a period of supervised practice be completed prior to graduation and application for registration issued by the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate competency as a radiography student across the domains of practice and be able to assume an independent role as a radiographer and modelling professionalism within the role.
- Synergise image appearances and health assessments using appropriate terminology and critically evaluate medical images with reference to the clinical presentation;
- Implement multislice CT imaging methods and protocols and related interventional procedures (CT and DSA) including dose reduction strategies in a problem-solving capacity across a diverse range of clinical settings and patients;
- Conduct pre-scanning screening of MRI patients and provide clear instructions of the procedure prior to performing MRI scans to the beginner stage of professional development, whilst being cognisant of safety issues including the use of contrast agents;
- Critically reflect upon advanced radiographic practice and identify on-going professional development needs especially in relation to CT and MRI scanning, and advanced radiographic patient management.
- General Radiography Portfolio (50%)
- Professional Fitness to Practice Portfolio (40%)
- Work based performance appraisal at weeks 12 and 24 (10%)
- Advanced Clinical Workbook (Hurdle: PASS/ FAIL)
- Hurdle: Must pass all elements of assessment to pass the unit