6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
One of the following units: HSC1061 or
One of the following units: HSC2051,, HSC2101, , or .
This unit will equip students with skills to undertake the evaluation of health promotion programs, partnerships and policies using a range of methodologies. Levels of health program evaluation, including formative, process, impact, and outcome evaluation, will be examined. The range of qualitative and quantitative methods that are appropriate for different evaluation questions will be presented. An emphasis will be placed on the evaluation challenges posed by the complexities of health promotion and the contexts in which it is carried out, with case studies used to illustrate these issues. Evaluation design and data collection options to strengthen knowledge of program impact will be explored.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- distinguish between levels of evaluation in health promotion and recognise how these are linked to program plans;
- select quantitative designs that are appropriate for different evaluation questions;
- identify the range of qualitative study designs that can be employed and the strengths and weaknesses of these for different strategies and contexts;
- identify methods to measure indicators at all levels of evaluation;
- develop survey questions and interview guides that demonstrate an understanding of measurement quality;
- recognise different aspects of measurement reliability and validity and how these can be evaluated;
- develop a comprehensive evaluation plan.
- Evaluation design exercise (10%)
- Project evaluation plan (40%)
- Oral presentation (20 minutes) & class activities (30 minutes) (20%)
- Data collection instrument (2,000 words) (30%)
Hurdle: 80% attendance at tutorials.
4 contact hours per week PLUS 8 hours of private study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information