6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Suzanne Caliph
(Note: the result formay be WH but students must have completed at least three Practical Experience Placements.)
The aim of this unit is to further prepare students for practice as pharmacists.
This unit builds particularly on the third year units of the Pharmacy Practice stream (PAC3351, PAC3362) and the Professional Experience Placement program ().
At the completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Describe various extended roles of pharmacists and appreciate the leadership role of the pharmacist
- Dispense legally and accurately, including being proficient in extemporaneous compounding and pharmaceutical calculations;
- Develop an appropriate medication management strategy for a range of individual patients with multiple medications
- Describe fundamental marketing principles applicable to a pharmacy operation and apply basic inventory management tools and analyse financial statements
- Discuss wound management as a part of pharmacy practice
- Recognise key requirements for implementation of health promotion strategies and integrate health promotion into patient counselling
- Discuss uses and untoward effects of vitamins and complementary medicines
- Describe the role of pharmacist in provision of primary health care for companion and farm animals in selected diseases
Final Written Examination 45%; In-semester assessments 55% (including Pharmaceutical calculations exam (Hurdle - minimum 80% requirement); Extemporaneous dispensing practical exam; Medication management review exam and Pharmacy management assignment)
48 contact hours and 24 hours of self-directed learning
See also Unit timetable information