12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
and either or .
Must be enrolled in course M3001.
Students will develop skills in project implementation and work within a community partnership model to address a community/population health based issue for the collaborating agency. The student will apply and further develop the knowledge, skills and expertise necessary for them to implement, evaluate and report on a community orientated project. It is expected that the student will act as the project manager whilst also communicating, negotiating and collaborating with agency staff and other relevant stakeholders.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Articulate ethical and legal issues pertinent to project work;
- Articulate funding systems and submission processes in health care;
- Apply change management processes and systems theory in a community partnership project;
- Develop, implement, evaluate and disseminate information concerning a project that has occupational relevance to a community or population;
- Implement, undertake, deliver or operationalise a project according to stated goals and objectives detailed in a project proposal;
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders and facilitate stakeholder commitment;
- Identify and apply approaches that may be adopted to address population based health issues and apply the principles of enabling occupation to a population/community;
- Maintain the professional standards and emergency procedures set by the clinical facility, Monash University and by Occupational Therapy Australia code of ethics;
- Report and disseminate information pertaining to community partnership projects using effective verbal and written communication;
- Manage project information and timelines.
Fieldwork placement: 22 days.
- Written project progress report: Part A (750 words) (10%)
- Written project progress report: Part B (750 words) (10%)
- Oral poster presentation (20%)
- Project report detailing process, findings and recommendations (5,000 words minimum with 7,500 words limit) (60%)
- Attendance at 80% of workshops (including online lectures and tutorials), supervisory meetings and fieldwork placement hours, unless a medical certificate is provided.
- Satisfactory completion of placement as assessed through the Student Placement Evaluation Form - Revised (SPEF-R) and 165 hours of fieldwork placement.
- Completion of two individual reflective journal summary reports and time use diary.
- Presentation of amended project report to agency if required.
Fieldwork project placement in external agencies for the equivalent of 15 hours a week for 11 weeks/ 165 hours for the semester; 6-8 hours/week of private study; a total of 15 hours of on-campus workshops; and 6 supervision meetings with allocated Monash University fieldwork supervisor.
See also Unit timetable information