12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Ms Verity Mak
Ms Janet Wettenhall (Peninsula)
This unit builds on the concepts covered in core units in years one (1), two (2) and three (3).
The content is related to identifying areas of healthcare practice that require improvement, and how quality and safety frameworks and nursing leadership translates to safe and quality care.
This unit is offered in the final semester of the course with NUR3312 Translation of nursing knowledge in preparation for professional nursing practice.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Apply the Safety and Quality Improvement Framework in a variety of scenarios, using a person-centred approach;
- Apply models of leadership and their contribution to the advancement of the profession, through the conduct of a quality improvement process;
- Reflect on quality and patient safety outcomes drawn from clinical placement experience
- Analyse the evidence for an identified area of nursing practice that would benefit from a quality improvement process;
- Design a quality improvement program for an identified area of nursing practice;
- Critically analyse literature and evidence supporting clinical and nursing practice
- Evaluate the process of a clinical practice guideline development.
- Appraise peer quality improvement programs using an evidence based evaluation tool
- Written report on Quality Improvement Issue (Individual) (3,000 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Healthcare Innovation program (2,000 words) (25%)
- Group poster presentation (1,500 words) (20%)
- Masterclass (2 hours) Peer Evaluation and written reflection (15%) (Hurdle)
7 weeks teacher directed activity: 2 x 2 hour workshops each week (80% attendance requirement hurdle)
MNM Quality Innovation Forum 2 hrs (one only) (attendance Hurdle)
This unit is run with an integrated clinical placement alongside NUR3312.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
Online teacher directed activities 10 hours each week
Self-Directed Learning 12 hours each week
Total 292 hours