6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit is designed to provide students with a theoretical and practical appreciation of marketing principles in the general retail business environment. The unit provides a framework for examining, analysing and applying various marketing tools in the formulation and implementation of retail marketing strategies. Topics covered include merchandising planning; merchandise pricing; selling and sales promotion; store location, layout and presentation.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- develop an understanding of the retail industry and identify the different retail formats in Malaysia and internationally
- demonstrate a working knowledge of the application of marketing principles in the retail sector
- identify and analyse retail trends and their implications
- equip students with the skills necessary to analyse retail marketing practices
- develop the ability to design and implement retail marketing strategies.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information