6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (Evening)
This unit is designed to prepare students with the necessary knowledge and skills to (i) analyse and write reports on firms operating in emerging markets and (ii) develop strategic thinking and advice for businesses to improve their operations.
Students will gain an understanding of important risk and control issues such as factory location, capital structure, logistics, operations management and industry trends associated with firms operating in emerging markets. An emphasis will be placed on China as it is the largest supplying ecosystem in the world and constitutes the largest share of global supply chains.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- analyse the current economic and operational risks facing businesses that manage a global supply chain
- evaluate sourcing and management best practices related to leading supply chain management firms
- analyse and evaluate the challenges and behaviour of suppliers in a global supply chain
- evaluate compliance and sustainability issues facing global supply chains.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information