6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit explores the importance of anthropogenic sources of air pollution and ways to minimize air pollution by the application of different practices. It provides an overview of air pollution in an urban and industrial environment, particularly on the formation of air pollutants, the transport of pollutants in the atmosphere, and the techniques available for controlling these air pollutants (particles, gases, or vapors). Case studies on the current air quality management, the legislation and policies aimed at reducing emissions and improving air quality in Southeast Asian countries will be discussed.
On successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Critically analyze and discuss the nature of air pollutants and its effects on human health and environment.
- Evaluate air pollutant concentrations as a function of emission, meteorology, and built environment.
- Thoroughly assess the different theoretical air quality models and the limitations of each model.
- Thoroughly assess the theoretical working principles and the limitations of air pollution control systems.
- Critically evaluate and discuss the present air quality condition in Southeast Asian Countries.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours of practicals/labs and 7 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information