12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 to First semester 2020 (On-campus)
Enrolment in an approved Honours or Postgraduate Diploma in the discipline of Medical bioscience
This unit provides advanced instruction in quantitative methods, thesis writing and current topics to students enrolled in the honours program in medical bioscience. Students will gain an understanding of advanced experimental design, data analysis and scientific writing that will assist them in completing their honours thesis. Further classes and coursework relating to current topics in medical bioscience will assist students in critical analysis of journal articles, providing further support for their academic development in research science.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of experimental design and sampling methods that are relevant to their research project;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impacts of resource limitation on experimental design and implementation;
- Critically analyse articles from the scientific literature and use this ability to enhance the quality of their own written work;
- Express themselves clearly and effectively to a scientific audience;
- Complete assessment tasks expeditiously and competently.
Statistics coursework: 30%
One to three hours of lectures and/or tutorials per week over 12 weeks
See also Unit timetable information