6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Admission to a Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture course, or permission.
APA1502 or APA1512 or APA1522 or APA1524
Building on the acquired knowledge and experience of the previous unit, Jewellery Practice 2 gives students the opportunity to further explore ideas through the making of jewellery and objects in the context of a set project.
The unit's framework supports the student's ongoing development in both the acquisition of practical skills while encouraging an experimental approach to the use of materials and processes. The emphasis in this unit is on developing new ways of thinking about jewellery and new ways of making it. This approach will be reflected in the advanced theoretical research that is done alongside the making of three-dimensional works.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Develop a growing understanding of contemporary art jewellery practice as a discipline within Art, Design & Architecture;
- Begin to make more advanced connections between their understanding of contemporary art jewellery practice and their ideas;
- Apply more advanced skills to realise jewellery-based and body related objects through an open process of inquiry and experimentation;
- Research at an intermediate level the contemporary art context of jewellery and its relationship to other relevant art, design and architecture practices;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours plus 8 hours of independent study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information