6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Students must have completed at least 96 credit points in the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture, oror or
This unit continues from. It seeks to develop student's sophistication toward transportation concepts through greater awareness of modeling, materials and processes. Students have an opportunity to create 3D representation in a variety of appropriate modelling media. This enables students to evaluate how well their designs match up to particular technical and cultural requirements. Students will be expected to develop their own design proposals. Topics cover advanced aspects of 3D modelling and production processes in a variety of materials and the aesthetic aspects of transportation. Studio project work involves the development of a sophisticated piece of transportation design.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Plan strategies and generate interior / exterior design concepts preferably consistent with design studies previously undertaken in the Transportation Design 2 unit;
- Validate conceptual design work which is feasible for manufacture;
- Show a sound understanding of layouts, component mapping and ergonomic factors in the field of transportation;
- Show sensitivity to the latest aesthetic thinking and material technologies in the area of study;
- Successfully demonstrate a 3D replication of a transportation design concept;
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information