6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
and either or ENG1501 or ENG1050 or
This unit broadens the student's understanding of the use and properties of materials in product design. There is a particular emphasis upon new and emerging materials and processes and volumes of production. Lectures cover the following areas of study; comparative assembly techniques, automated assembly, recycling and disassembly, surface treatments, guidelines for designing mouldings; fastening and joining techniques.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Have an advanced knowledge of applications of materials and manufacturing in product design;
- Understand the performance of materials including environmental exposure;
- Understand the properties of new and emerging materials and their process interaction;
- Be able to design products for assembly and disassembly;
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information