6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit will deliver a structured introduction to the Australian healthcare system. Students will gain a preliminary knowledge of the organization, current policies and policy debates, funding arrangements and emerging trends in healthcare practice. A feature of the unit is an inclusive approach to the understanding of health. This approach will consider aged care, disability, mental health, and alcohol and drug components in addition to established health services. Case studies will be used to consolidate the theoretical material. Students will develop a reflective understanding of their own experience of health care, and be able to identify their assumptions regarding health and the practice of health care. Overarching themes will include an overview of the health system, specialist sectors and working in the health space.
On successful completion of this unit students will:
- Describe the components and organisation of the Australian healthcare system.
- Discriminate between polices which inform, and the arrangements which fund, the Australian healthcare system.
- Distinguish between the current policy debates and service models relevant to the current Australian healthcare system.
- Identify the inter-sectorial and multi-disciplinary components of the Australian healthcare system.
- Outline healthcare practices.
- Articulate a reflective understanding of their experience and assumptions with respect to health and the practice of care.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
- In-class written test (60 minutes) (15%)
- Group presentation (20 minutes) (15%)
- Written case study (1,800 words) (30%)
- Examination (2 hours) (40%) Hurdle
1 hour lecture, 2 hour tutorial, 3 hours of directed online student learning activities, plus 6 hours of self-directed study per week.
See also Unit timetable information