6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Admission to a Faculty of Art Design & Architecture course or permission
APA1301 or APA1311
This unit introduces students to the ancient craft of Glass Blowing in a contemporary light. Students will be taught an introductory level of Glass Blowing combined with a focus on conceptual approaches to this medium.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand the synthesis between concept and process within Glass Blowing practice;
- Initiate, develop and express personal aesthetic solutions in the medium of Glass Blowing;
- Work collaboratively with others to plan, problem solve, and create Glass Blowing solutions;
- Critically reflect on self and the work of peers through group discussion and critique;
- Explore and analyse the history of Glass Blowing and where it is situated in contemporary Fine Art practice;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
Folio of studio work (100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester)
12 hours per week including 6 hours of taught studio and 6 hours of independent study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information