6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
and students enrolled in S2009 version 1
An introduction to the principles and concepts of nutrition with emphasis on the digestion, absorption, key functions and food sources of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, minerals and vitamins that applicable to human. Various factors that influence food choices to meet nutrition needs of individuals are discussed. The concept of energy requirements and weight management will be discussed. Malaysian Dietary Guidelines are introduced.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the digestion and absorption of food and specified nutrients;
- Display knowledge and understanding on key functions, food sources and requirements of specified nutrients;
- Display knowledge and understanding on the concept of weight management in regards to energy intake and exercise.
- Critically analyse personal dietary intake within the framework for Malaysian dietary guideline;
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate effectively in the production of scientific report and presentations and communicate effectively in giving constructive feedback to peers.
Examination (2 hours): 50% (Hurdle)
Participation/quiz/presentation: 20% (Hurdle)
Hurdle requirement: To pass this unit students are required to achieve a minimum score of at least 50% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 30% in the final examination component. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
- Two 1-hour lectures
- 2-hours of supported independent study and
- 8-hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information