12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Admission to a Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture course or permission
Any VPR or VIS level 1 unit
This unit is the first in a sequence to introduce students to a range of leading contemporary art practices and methodologies. The unit promotes a cutting-edge approach to conceptual and material processes through interdisciplinary transaction, material and fabrication procedures. Associated projects are introduced based on theories of contemporary art practices, collaborative practices and individual modes of research focused outcomes. Students will develop inventive and sustainable solutions to a series of projects that will enable them to develop a personal methodology and language.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Initiate, develop and express conceptual and material solutions to projects set across a range of fine art media;
- Understand a variety of production methods used in the studio environment, have an appreciation of various mediums, their properties and uses, and be able to work with materials and techniques in an experimental and sustainable manner;
- Apply interdisciplinary approaches within the fine art field at both individual and collaborative levels;
- Understand the synthesis between observation, analysis, experimentation and critique within fine art production;
- Contextualise their work and its theoretical and material rationale within the field of fine art practice, and;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% in-semester assessment
24 hours per week including 10 contact hours plus 14 hours of independent study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information