6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Term 3 2019 (On-campus)
Together with, this unit provides a challenging opportunity for students to pursue an independent, self-guided research review aimed at advancing the body of knowledge relevant to the topic. The review will involve a critical assessment of the current literature and will include a combination of literature review, proposing hypotheses, experimental design, and preliminary experimental investigation. The project and its outcomes will be communicated to a wider audience via a technical review paper, and oral presentations. This unit is the second part of a two-unit project.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Formulate a research plan based on the scientific method coupled with a rational Design of Experiments approach.
- Critically evaluate the current scientific literature relevant to the topic and assess its limitations based on an extensive literature review.
- Evaluate data, and support the validity of the findings by quantifying errors.
- Convey their findings in both written and verbal formats, and critique and evaluate the work of others.
- Engage in regular self-assessment and peer-assessment of individual and team performance as a primary means of tracking continuing professional development.
Continuous assessment: 100%
1-hour consultation workshop with the project supervisor and 11 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information