6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
The online offering is available only to students enrolled in the Master of Bioproduct Manufacturing Engineering. Please contact Ask MonashAsk Monash (https://connect.monash.edu/s/contact) for enrolment.
This unit provides a challenging opportunity for students to pursue an independent, self-guided research review aimed at advancing the body of knowledge relevant to the topic. The review will involve a critical assessment of the current literature and will include a combination of literature review, proposing hypotheses, experimental design, and preliminary experimental investigation. The project and its outcomes will be communicated to a wider audience via a technical review paper, and oral presentations. This unit can be taken alone or as the first part of a two-unit project.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Formulate a research plan based on the scientific method coupled with a rational Design of Experiments approach.
- Critically evaluate the current scientific literature relevant to the topic and assess its limitations based on an extensive literature review.
- Evaluate data, and support the validity of the findings by quantifying errors.
- Convey their findings in both written and verbal formats, and critique and evaluate the work of others.
- Engage in regular self-assessment and peer-assessment of individual and team performance as a primary means of tracking continuing professional development.
Continuous assessment: 100%
1-hour lecture and 11 hours of private study including timetabled weekly consultation with the project supervisor.
Please note that the requirements will change from Second Semester, 2019: 1-hour consultation workshop with the project supervisor and 11 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information