6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
Dr Yihai Fang
Dr Ali Rashidi (Malaysia)
This unit introduces the fundamentals of spatial communication in engineering. This project-oriented unit includes an introduction to engineering drawing, spatial measurement, and spatial visualisation. Students will work with various spatial visualisation tools. Starting from hand sketching, students will learn how to produce engineering drawings, collect spatial data, and develop spatial visualisations.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Create hand sketches and drawings (2D/3D)
- Create digital engineering drawings (2D/3D) using computer-aided packages
- Collect and communicate spatial data
- Create digital visualisations containing spatial information in Geographic Information Systems (GIS); and
- Communicate engineering information effectively in written and oral formats
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Continuous assessment: 45%
Examination (2 hours): 55%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours practicals and 7 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information