6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in D6006 MProfCouns
This unit addresses approaches to research design and analysis. The topics comprise experimental design, applied methodology, and qualitative research. Experimental design and analysis includes hypothesis testing, t-tests, analysis of variance and post-hoc tests. Applied methodology includes correlation, chi-square, non-parametric tests and observational, archival and single subject designs. The laboratory program complements the learning, and provides further training in research techniques and analysis.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate the conceptual and practical skills in designing and analysing research
- identify the appropriate application of a variety of statistical tests
- apply statistical skills using data analysis software.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Online quizzes (600 words, 15%)
One data analysis and report writing assignment (1500 words, 35%)
Examination (multiple-choice and/or short answers) (2 hours, 2000 words, 50%)
Students must pass the examination to achieve a pass for this unit.
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2-hr lecture per week
- 2-hr laboratory class per fortnight
- Additional requirements (all students):
- Independent study to make up the required minimum hours during the semester.
See also Unit timetable information