6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
or VIS1112 or by permission
This unit develops practical design research, investigation, conceptual development, communication, presentation and practice capabilities. The focus is on design research and design management of multi and inter disciplinary projects, in which a range of design factors are considered and methodologies employed to coordinate their analysis and to achieve a holistic design integration that addresses human needs. Projects will be set in a variety of contexts.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Undertake a design project at a conceptual level involving the resolution of user requirements, technical issues, aesthetics, and the communication of the design with presentation drawings and models, technical drawings and specifications;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the methodologies they are applying, and explain the reasoning behind their choice of methodology, media, design options and solutions;
- Understand the role of design as a discipline as well as a professional practice in a particular field;
- Consider critically the imagery in their designs, and its aesthetic and symbolic resonances;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours and 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information