6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
, , , and one of either or
Must be enrolled in course code M6022
This unit will examine an understanding of the role of parents in their child's development and different ways of working with parents from a psychodynamic and developmental perspective. Consideration will be made of the following ways of working with parents and the similarities and difference in the models: parent therapy; parent and child work combined; short-term and crisis work with parents; parent counselling; parent education; marital therapy/counselling; individual therapy/counselling.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- critically analyse theoretical and clinical concepts of working with parents;
- evaluate the importance of parents' own development as it may affect their role as parents;
- explore possible ways of working with parents as relevant to their particular needs and those of their child/children; and
- evaluate the difficulties that may be experienced by the therapist when working with parents.
- Written assignment 1 (15%)
- Written assignment 2 (25%)
- Essay (40%)
- On-campus workshop / Alternative assessment (20%)
All assessments must be passed to pass the unit.
Off-campus attendance requirements
Two day on-campus workshop.