6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Student must be enrolled in the Master of Advanced Engineering
The unit explores how the construction industry is responding to the challenges in each of the four sectors in Civil Engineering - materials innovation, geotechnical technology innovations, green transport and water sensitive urban designs. Through investigating these sectors, the state-of-the-art knowledge of green building is covered.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge of green materials and technology to the solution of complex problems involving buildings and structures.
- Relate the knowledge of physics and chemistry to green building concepts.
- Compute and assess the components of the Malaysian Green Building Index (GBI) and relate this to similar indices around the world.
- Conduct the necessary calculations for the assessment of sustainability measurements in green buildings.
Continuous assessment: 100%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in each of the continuous assessment components and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours of lectures, 2 hours of tutorial classes and 7 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information