6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Associate Professor Elizabeth Davis
Dr Shae-Lee Cox
Dr Elizabeth Pritchard (Public Health projects only)
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
A grade point average of at least 70 over 24 points in the Biomedical Science area at 2nd year level.
For Monash students, those enrolled in the following:
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar Program)
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science Advanced with Honours
- Honours degree of Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Commerce
BMS3031/BMS3021 or BMS3052/BMS3042 or by approval of course coordinator.
This unit provides the opportunity for high achieving students to work with an academic supervisor and complete a research project in the Biomedical Sciences. The research project may be chosen from a list of projects available at the beginning of semester from any of the Departments in the School of Biomedical Sciences. The unit convenor and supervisor must approve the project topic at the time of enrolment. Students will work in a research laboratory to obtain data, will complete a written preliminary and final report and will give a series of oral presentations on their work.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Review scientific literature in the project area, including the ability to identify key information in this area;
- Access databases for provision of information;
- Present oral reports;
- Construct written reports;
- Manage workloads to meet deadlines;
- Work with a significant degree of independence;
- Plan a large project, including the ability to adjust planning as events and results dictate;
- Conduct appropriate statistical analysis of results;
- Perform routine laboratory measurements and manipulations;
- Maintain efficient and meaningful communication with a project supervisor;
- Use technical word processing packages and graphics software.
- Two oral reports (preliminary 15 minutes: 10% and final 15 minutes: 10%) (total 20%)
- Written report (preliminary 1,000 words) (10%)
- Written report (final 5,000 words) (50%) (hurdle)
- Assessment of laboratory work (20%)
Approximately 12 hours per week of laboratory work and private study.
See also Unit timetable information