6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Banking and Finance
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Topics covered include multinational firms and globalisation; foreign direct investment; political risk; foreign exchange markets; currency derivatives (currency options and forward contracts); measuring and managing transaction exposure; cost of capital and capital structure for multinational firms; fundamentals of capital budgeting; international capital budgeting and exchange rate effects; international cash management; transfer pricing and international tax strategies.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- discuss the international financial environment and the importance of foreign exchange risk management
- discuss important financial management issues and their application to financial management of multinational firms
- discuss foreign exchange market mechanisms and explain how markets can be used to hedge foreign currency transaction exposure
- apply capital budgeting techniques in the context of a multinational firm
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual activities dealing with international financial management and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by BFW2341.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information