6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
ATS2237, VSA2260, VSA3260
This unit introduces students to post-war Italian cinema and its cultural contexts and gives an opportunity to view and discuss films by Scola, Rossellini, Visconti, Benigni, and others. The unit familiarises students with a variety of critical approaches and allows them to analyse the films as representatives of specific cinematographic genres and styles, and as reflections on and interpretations of post-war Italian culture. The unit covers issues such as wartime resistance; fascism; migration within, from and to Italy amongst others.
On successful completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Understand, discuss and analyse different cinematographic genres and styles of post-war Italian Cinema
- Develop and express a relative understanding of the cultural context of post-war Italy
- Understand, discuss and analyse the ways in which select post-war Italian films reflect on and interpret the social and political issues of their time
- Develop an ability to engage with written and visual texts and to understand a body of critical writing in the field Additional objective for students in Italian:
- To develop a knowledge of specialist language in relation to film studies Additional objectives for third year students will be
- To develop a deeper understanding of theoretical debates in the field of post-war Italian cinema and Italian culture.
- The ability to apply that understanding to one or more other films of their choice not studied in class
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information