6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
VCE in Italian or equivalent
The unit will consist of two integrated and complementary sections: Culture (50%) and Language (50%).
Culture: an introduction to Nineteenth Century Italy through the critical analysis of key aspects of its cultural production.
Language: practical language acquisition and consolidation of grammatical structures at level B1 of the European Framework,through oral practice and the use of written, aural and audiovisual materials representing selected situations and registers. The thematic areas covered in the culture seminars will form the basis for some reading comprehension, writing and discussion covered in the language component and students will be invited to reflect on the expressions of such themes in contemporary society.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- utilise grammatical concepts and vocabulary at a level equivalent to the first stage of B1 of the European Framework;
- competently communicate at a level equivalent to the first stage of B1 of the European Framework;
- perform textual analysis to interpret the interrelationship between literary production and nineteenth-century Italian society;
- recognise different types of narrative constructs;
- employ sophisticated research and critical thinking skills.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information