6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Students are not permitted to take classes that are below their language proficiency level.
The unit consolidates and extends listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at level A1 of the European language framework.
It also provides a deeper knowledge of contemporary Italy, through a focus on key economic and cultural sectors, such as cinema and TV, music, food, fashion and design, tourism, and football.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- interact in simple discussions and talk about aspects of daily life;
- utilise their knowledge of all areas of Italian grammar, with some fluency in speaking, listening, reading and writing;
- critically analyse specific issues connected to national identity and gender in contemporary Italy;
- research, evaluate and utilise digital resources and social-media texts about Italian history, culture and society.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information