12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit provides training in research methodologies and theoretical frameworks, including approaches to ethics and intellectual property management. Study is developed around a research project based on identified industry needs. The project is to be designed, developed and budgeted to proposal stage and becomes the basis for assessment in the unit. The unit provides the opportunity to explore vocational interests in a chosen aspect of the communications and media industry while maintaining a critical approach to research.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- develop critical awareness of theoretical, ethical and intellectual property issues relevant to research in academic and industry settings, and to do so in the context of developing a comprehensive research proposal;
- be trained in social sciences & humanities research methodologies and theoretical frameworks for research, including approaches to ethics and intellectual property management;
- learn to design, develop and budget a research project;
- explore vocational interests in a chosen aspect of various industries (like media & communication) while maintaining a critical approach to research.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information