6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Winter semester 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
The unit provides an overview of the salient features constituting contemporary Malaysian society. It also provides a critical understanding of some of the significant innovations, dilemmas, and challenges unfolding in Malaysia in relation to regional and global trends.
Topics covered include domestic politics, economics, social policy & development, literature & the arts, and international relations & security.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- articulate the salient socio - cultural, economic and political features of contemporary Malaysian society;
- analyse some of the significant innovations, dilemmas and challenges unfolding in Malaysia;
- evaluate the above issues and debates in the context of regional and global trends;
- Communicate research findings conducted in collaboration with peers via a variety of formats (oral, video, pictures etc.).
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information